The North Carolina Science Museums Grant program is currently funded at more than $2,300,000 annually. Applications will be accepted on a two-year cycle that coincides with the state’s biennium budget.
Potential awards are given to eligible applicants based on criteria set forth by state government per G.S. 143B-135.227. Award amounts will be determined by the following criteria:
- When compared to other museum applicants:
- Are located in counties that are more economically distressed according to the annual rankings prepared by the Department of Commerce pursuant to G.S. 143B-437.08(c).
- Generate a larger portion of their operating funds from non-State revenue.
- Have a higher attendance-to-population ratio.
- Partner with other museums in the State to share exhibits, programs, or other activities.
- Are not located in close proximity to other science or STEM education museums.
Award maximums are based on each applicant’s county tier designation:
- Tier One – up to $75,000
- Tier Two – up to $60,000
- Tier Three – up to $50,000