Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible for an award:
- The museum must be a science center or museum or a children’s museum that is physically located in the State.
- The museum must be open, operating, and exhibiting science or science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) education objects to the general public at least 120 days of each year for the past two or more years.
- The museum must be a municipal or nonprofit organization that is exempt from federal income taxes pursuant to section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code.
- The museum has on its staff at least one full-time professional person.
- The museum’s governing body has adopted a mission statement that includes language that shows the museum has a concentration on science or STEM education.